Every tax payer is now in the process of filling their income tax return since the date for filing the income tax return has been extended to Aug 5. Verification of the income tax return is mandatory to complete the income tax filing process.
The Income Tax department starts to process the income tax return as soon as its verification is complete. The refunds are processed only for the returns which are verified and submitted.
Verification of income tax return
As per law, the income tax return filed by a tax payer is not considered valid until it is verified. The verification of the income tax return can be done by 2 processes:
- Physical verification
- E-Verification Code (EVC)
It can be done by downloading the Income Tax Return copy and sending a signed copy of the same to CPC Bangalore. The time limit is 120 days from the date of uploading the ITR.
E-Verification Code (EVC)
It is a code generated by the Income Tax Department which is sent to the registered mobile number while filing income tax return online. It is used to verify the identity of the income tax payer.
Options to e-verify income tax return
To e-verify the ITR generation of EVC code is must. The E-verification process can be done by the below 6 methods:
- EVC – to registered email ID and mobile number
- EVC – through Aadhar Card
- EVC – through net banking
- EVC – through ATM
- EVC – through bank account detail
- EVC – through demat account
How to e-verify ITR
To e-verify open e-filing website. Go to “e-file -> e-verify Return”. The below options will be available:
- Option – “I already have an EVC to e-Verify my return”
If you choose this selection, you have to to put in the pre-generated EVC code in the text box provided and click “Submit” to complete the e-verification process. Once you get the success message, your income tax filing process is complete.
- EVC – Through ATM
This option can be used if you have an ATM card of a PAN authenticated account in any of the banks registered with the Income Tax Department.
To generate EVC through ATM the below steps must be followed:
- Swipe credit/debit card on the bank’s ATM
- Choose the option “Create EVC for Filing Income Tax”. An EVC will be directed to your mobile number registered which will be valid for 72 hours.
- To e-verify your income tax return; open the Income Tax Department’s website for e-filing. Go to “e-file -> e-verify Return”. Now choose “I previously have an EVC to e-Verify my return” and follow the steps mentioned above.
- Option – “I do not possess an EVC and I want to create EVC to e-Verify my return.”
Here four options are available to verify your ITR electronically:
- EVC – To registered email ID and mobile number
In this option, you will receive a 10 digit alphanumeric code to your registered mobile number and email ID. This code is valid for 72 hours.
This option can be used if tax payer’s gross income minus deduction is less than or equal to Rs. 5 lakhs and if, demand/refund is equal to or less than Rs. 100.
- EVC – through net banking
This is another convenient option for verifying your income tax return. Here you can directly log on to your bank’s net banking account and click on tab related to income tax filing. Login to e-filing portal by selecting the e-verify option. Click on the link e-verify against the return that has been uploaded. Your income tax return will be e-verified.
- EVC – through bank account number
To use this method, firstly your bank account must be pre-validated. The profile settings of the e-filing account can be used for pre-validation. You must provide your correct account number, bank name, IFSC code and mobile number.
Your PAN number and name records must match perfectly for pre-validation to be completed successfully. The mobile number registered with the bank should be provided. These details are verified and validated by the bank. If the validation is successful, EVC can be generated using this option. At present only 12 banks are authorized to provide this facility.
- EVC – through demat account number
Just like your bank account detail, even your demat account number needs to be pre-validated in order to generate EVC through this method. This can be done in the profile settings of your e-filing account.
You must select your depository and provide both your mobile number and email id. The PAN number, mobile number and email id will be verified and validated by the depository. Once the income tax e-file process is complete, EVC can be generated to proceed for the e-verification of the income tax return.
- Option – “I would like to create Aadhaar OTP to e-verify my return”
In this method, your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhar card. Here an OTP is generated and sent to the registered mobile number. Once the OTP is received, enter it in the text box provided and click “Submit”. After this process a success page will be shown. The main point to note here is that the Aadhar OTP is valid only for 30 minutes.
- Option – “I would like to send ITR-V/ I would like to e-verify later”
The physical verification process can be used in case the e-verification could not be done for any reason.