Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of your website on search engines like Google. Increasing website visibility is incredibly important if you have a budding new business.
Search engine visibility refers to the rank that your web page appears when people type keywords that are related to your product or service in the search engine’s query box. You need to optimize for success online.
If you’re interested in increasing your website’s visibility and generating more traffic, read these tips that’ll help you optimize SEO and take your business to greater success.
How to optimize for on-page SEO?
On-page SEO is the process of optimizing your webpages to generate more traffic through higher search engine rankings. On-page optimization includes optimizing your content as well as the HTML source code.
Before you optimize your content for on-page SEO, you should analyze why your content doesn’t rank high on search engines. You can use a technical SEO audit checklist to identify your web page’s weaknesses and fix them.
To ensure that your webpages have higher rankings, try to implement the following on-page SEO strategies:
Use keywords that match the purpose of your visitors’ query
Keyword stuffing is one of the optimization techniques that Google hates, which is why you’ll be penalized when your content is keyword-stuffed as it’ll also make for lousy user experience.
If you want to rank higher on the search engines, use long-tail keywords that match the visitor’s search query’s intent. For example, if you’re writing a blogpost that helps your readers plan their next vacation, using a long-tailed keyword like ‘Where to plan your next vacation’ will help you generate more right type of traffic than using ‘vacation’ as your keyword.
Include keywords in Meta Title, Meta Description, and URL
If you want to get organic traffic, you must use the keywords strategically in:
- Meta-Title: Your title tag is the HTML element that appears as the heading of the search engine’s result. It explains to the search engine and the readers what your content is about and helps them determine the relevancy of your content.
If you don’t want your title tag to be cut, keep it under 60 characters. If it’s longer than 60 characters, include your keyword in the beginning.
- Meta-Description: Meta description is the description that appears under your title tag on a search engine’s result. It gives your readers and the search engines a peek into the content that awaits them. The maximum length of meta-description that Google shows is 300 characters.
- URL: A URL is a unique address that’s only associated with your webpage. It presents you with an opportunity to tell search engines what your webpage is about and determine its relevancy.
- Content: Don’t go overboard while using your keywords throughout your webpage. Remember, google penalizes stuffing keywords. Use your keywords naturally in the body of your webpage and headers.
Add ALT Text to the images your use
A webpage with visuals makes for better user experience. Thus, you should always try and incorporate images into your text so it won’t look bland and boring.
However, search engines don’t just look for images. Instead, they look for images with image alt text. The image alt text is the description of the visual that you’re using, allowing better user experience. Because search engines cannot see the image, they determine its relevancy by reading the alt text describing it. A relevant image will rank higher in Google’s image search result.
Link your webpage
If you’re writing about something that you’ve written before, keep readers hooked to your site by linking your web pages to one another.
Linking webpages will keep readers on your website for longer and bring other relevant content into the search engines’ notice, giving other pages higher rankings as well.
Make your webpages mobile friendly
A growing number of people use search engines on mobile phones. Thus, your content must be mobile-friendly.
Google displays mobile-friendly results on higher ranks. If you want to make your web page mobile-friendly, use one URL for desktop search results and mobile search. This helps because any inbound links will not be divided amongst separate URLs and will alert the search engine regarding your web page’s relevancy faster.
A lot of marketers tend to stop at on-page search engine optimization. However, a great way to increase SEO rankings is by linking building, i.e., getting other websites to link to your web page.
Incoming links get your webpage more traffic and increase the authority of your site. A few things that you can do to get inbound links are:
- Get organic links by writing informative and creative content that gets noticed and shared by people on social media.
- Market your content by promoting it on your social media or through newsletters.
- Get top influencers to review your content.
Parting word: Optimize your content for success!
These SEO strategies impact your search engine rankings and consequently optimize your business for more significant success. As a final tip, it would be best if you remember that you’re writing your content for your readers and not for the search engines.